If you are interested in visiting the Lodge Hall or reserving the facility, please follow the link below to the Copper Lodge Hall Webpage or call the offices at (614) 882-4683 and speak with Jamie Chesser.
In the early 1900s, police officers around the country were required to work grueling 12-hour days, 7 days a week. Additionally they were on call 24 hours a day in case of emergencies. There was no formal grievance process and officers were forced to accept conditions as they were.
That all changed when two police officers discussed the idea of an organization --not a labor union-- that would be for "the social welfare of all the police in Allegheny County." These two officers, Delbert Nagle and Martin L. Toole, paved the way for the first charter of the Fraternal Order of Police on November 17, 1915. Martin Toole later went on to become the president of the Grand Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police.
The first State of Ohio lodge (The McKinley Lodge No. 27) was organized by Captain Joseph H. Pence in Canton on May 23, 1920. It is the only lodge in Ohio that has remained active since its founding. Pence went on to become the national president of the F.O.P. in 1935. He gained recognition throughout Ohio as a result of his fight against police cutbacks during the Depression. He was elected state president in 1934 and Grand Lodge president in 1935. Because of Pence's ability to successfully communicate the need for the F.O.P., Ohio was one of the most rapid states to grow and become active in this organization. Pence was also a skilled fundraiser --raising enough money to form 19 new lodges featuring a membership of 1,795 by 1935.
The local lodge, Capital City Lodge No. 9, was reactivated on June 11, 1935 with 100 members. The Capital City Lodge No. 9 is presently the fifth largest local lodge in the F.O.P. with more than 4,000 members and represents 29 law enforcement agencies throughout Franklin County.
Footnote: Historical information was obtained from The Fraternal Order of Police 1915-1976 A History written by Justin E Walsh, Ph.D. published August,1977